Good oral hygiene habits should begin around age three. This includes learning proper brushing and flossing techniques. In order to help kids learn how to brush and floss, The Super Dentists have created an informative instructional video. Teaching kids to brush and floss teeth correctly, and encouraging them to practice good dental care every day will help their teeth and gums stay healthy.
When kids visit The Super Dentists, they will receive personalized coaching and encouragement for brushing and flossing teeth. After all, we want kids to have the superpower to keep their teeth for their lifetime.
Moms and dads may also benefit from a refresher course in proper teeth brushing and flossing:
- Brush at least two times every day for two minutes using a fluoride toothpaste (children under six years old should only use a pea-sized amount and be instructed not to swallow).
- Brush using gentle, short strokes and pay attention to every tooth front and back including at the gumline. Brush the chewing surface of each tooth and your tongue. Make sure you thoroughly clean areas that have had dental work such as fillings and crowns.
- A soft bristle toothbrush is recommended, and a small brush head can make it easier to reach back teeth. Powered toothbrushes can be more effective at removing plaque and food particles, but a manual brush does a great job, too.
- Floss at least once a day, perhaps before bedtime. Wrap the dental floss around your fingers and gently go along each tooth making a C shape. Move the dental floss up and carefully down to the gumline. Flossing reaches places your toothbrush cannot.
- Find a dental floss that you find most comfortable, whether it be unwaxed or waxed. It also comes in a variety of flavors for your flossing enjoyment.
- Rinse to remove any debris.
Even when kids aren’t at The Super Dentists, we have created a helpful video to help empower them to be super heroes of good dental care with proper brushing and flossing techniques.