Anesthesia Pre-Surgery Instructions
Anesthesia may be needed for fillings, crowns, extractions, pulpotomies or other treatments. We encourage you to click through to read more about the procedure your child is having. Our treatment coordinator will also go over your child’s treatment plan, and we encourage you to ask questions if you don’t understand something. If you or your child has upcoming dental surgery, just knowing what to expect can help ease any anxiety.
Please read through our recommendations; if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email us when we’re confirming your treatment or text us at 1-844-763-1234.
- Continue most medications prescribed by your physician or dentist (see below).
- Give Tylenol for discomfort as necessary.
- Motrin (Ibuprofen) can cause nausea on an empty stomach
- If your child is congested, please give an over the counter decongestant or antihistamine as needed (Including morning of the procedure)
- If your child has ever needed an inhaler or nebulizer for breathing (albuterol), please give a breathing treatment the night before and the morning of the procedure!
- Please follow eating and drinking guidelines strictly. Your child can be canceled for eating or drinking too close to his/her procedure time!
- Absolutely NO SOLID FOODS OR ANY MILK PRODUCTS from midnight the night before his/her scheduled check-in.
- Absolutely NO LIQUIDS within 3 hours of his/her scheduled check-in.
- Please give ONLY clear liquids, 3 to 6 hours before his/her scheduled check-in. (clear liquids include clear jello, popsicles, apple juice, water, and ice)
- If your child needs to take food with their pills before surgery, you may give them whole or crushed pills in 1 tablespoon of CLEAR JELLY (like grape jelly…NO jam or preserves or applesauce)
FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
- If your child has special needs such as Autism, Developmental Delay, ADHD, Seizures, or Severe Asthma requiring frequent, recent, or regular inhaler use, we prefer to speak directly with you about your child’s needs before his/her planned procedure. Please notify us to schedule a telephone consultation as soon as possible
- All breathing medications such as Singular, Albuterol, Flonase or inhaled steroids should be GIVEN up to and including the MORNING OF SURGERY.
- All Autism Medications should be GIVEN up to and including MORNING OF SURGERY.
- All ADHD Medications should be HELD MORNING OF SURGERY.
- ALL Seizure Medications should be GIVEN MORNING OF SURGERY.
- ALL other behavior medications (anxiety, depression, OCD, etc.) should be GIVEN on schedule.
- If your child has extreme anxiety or has had issues during previous visits, please schedule a pre-op phone consultation, so a plan can be discussed ahead of time.
Notify our office if any of the following occurs:
- Temperature is greater than 100.5 F within 48 hours of surgery.
- Persistent vomiting; more than two times within 24 hours of surgery.
- Any unusual symptoms or problems that concern you.
Don’t miss important messages from The Super Dentists!
Please add our phone number to your contacts, that way you’ll know it’s us calling about your SUPER kid! We look forward to seeing your family soon!